Sunday, January 29, 2006

Milan - Journey II / part II

Thursday - January 26th - 2006.

Finally it will happen, dining in Ristorante Bagutta. Last time I was in Milano it was closed. This restaurant has been recommended by a friend (italian) so it should be good. Arriving in Milan (thursday morning) and it starts to snow a bit ... During lunch there's already enough snow for traffic to be in problems. Than at diner time we missed the restaurant due to ... Snow. The bus takes 2 hours for 500 meters. The evening program has been cancelled. We ate in the hotel. Not bad actualy

Costoletta di Vitelo Milanese / nice big and very tastefull, so sitting in the restaurant with a greek, frenchman, spanjard, italian and dutch guy. So nice to hear all the dialects of the different countries. Of course accompanied by a nice italian red wine (Cabernet Franc - 2002). But ... I missed Bagutta.

Next day - Friday January 27th - 2006 - off to the airport, after saying goodbye to all my collegues. Everybody is waiting for taxi's, busses and nothing moves. The people who are waiting from 07 AM are still there, nice we had a later flight. No snow in Amsterdam. And while everybody is waiting for the bus / taxi / transport our bus (56 passangers big) arrives everybody jalous en we enter the bus - 2 persons
- with the bus and metro - a stop at the coffeeshop for an espresso and a croissant : € 1,60, nice prices and a real espresso as it should be done, mjammie, we made it well on time although the snow, and it was still snowing,. Airport ... Closed !!!

Try to check in and ... It will not happen. "Can you come back tomorrow?" Next steps ... Arranging an hotel and off with the Malpenso Express (train) to Milan. Of course delayed as well, from 2 trains an hour to 1 every 1,5 hours... Found a hotel, very expansive, incredible, the Hotel Amstel is cheaper. But I ran into my french collegue, the greeks are here as well
after going and trying different things we all end up together in the same hotel ... how's that for coincidence?

I don't complain much about service but this hotel I left the ' moment of truth' (questionaire) filled in. The safe was out of order, the TV was snowy - every channel - the sink was broken, the shower was poor and the list continous, I can expext that with an hotel in the lower range but not 5 star plus!!! And I wonder the most if they reply to me ... The Grand Hotel Duomo (
http://www.grandhotelduomo.com) nothing about the location though ...

Arranging the TGV for tomorrow to Paris and than from Paris to Amsterdam. We'll see ... Sema thanks for the booking of the hotel in Paris. And special thanks to my PA (everybody should have one) for weather updates, information, TGV information, hotel info, bookings, sms updates of the airport and not to forget the mental support - kiss for you, thx 'draakje' PA
>.

The next day, Saturday January 28th ...
After shopping for some clean clothes I ended up in the sale, such a pitty I only carry such a small bag this time not even place for a jacket. But from underwear till a nice and WARM sweater I have it all. Also a small lunch with the Greek and the Dutch and of to the TGV. The metro was quick, easy good indicated and I arrived at Milano Centrali. A little bit early but better early than late. The main boards with travel information showed the 16.13 to Paris but not which track. So I just went looking and found the TGV - I wonder if people missed this train - than your seat number ...found it, was taken though, next wagon, also taken, I just went through the train till I had an empty 87, because wagon 6 is nowhere indicated. Travelling is fun. While waiting for this train I had the opportunity to look at all the people and I think that at least 60% is running. So funny to look at people trying to find their way. I know we Dutch want to regulate everything and that's far from good but sometimes just some small notes where trains are leaving from could be helpfull. Probably the - sorry - italian way. The TGV is on it's way. T(rain) G(rande) V(itesse) ?

Journey 1 Milano is a big city, the TGV took a long time to leave Milano. And although the snow is melting hard a little outside Milano their's plenty snow, the TGV is also not using it's highest 'gears'. 6 hours to go ... I'm happy that I'm not the only fool.

Torino (next stop) and people are confused if they are on the right seat. So 50% changes seats again ... Torino 17.50 - 5 hours to go. Oulx (18.30) I thought I was in a fast train ... never heard of the place. And the snow is back, roads are white, trucks are cleaning the road. I hope we will be able to reach Paris, it seems the south part of France is also experiencing some snowy wheater. Almost time for the bar I think. The journey continous. Bardonnechia ... where time stood still, very small place, very much snow and looks like a small pitoresq village. It's now 18.50 up to the next stop. Modane, la douche France (19.20) well at least we made it to France. I Wonder how fast we'll go from now on, I feel the need for speed. When all people found there spaces I'll head for the bar. Again people wonder where to sit. The lady just coming in may sit opposite of me
. Oh they are twins, finally some nice company Chambery - Challes les eaux. My russian is not so good, luckily they speak english too we arrived in this place (snow free) at 20.45. Time is flying. So far so good and no snow missery, we should make 23.00 at Paris. A lot of people are getting of, up to the last part of journey 1 of the TGV. Bourgoin Jallieu, at 21.50 the before last stop, there will be an extra stop before Paris. The ladies are ready for a birthday - surprise - party in Paris. Always handy a TGV with all facilities on board. People are getting tired and more quiet, even the italians Lyon par dieu. Is this the town Lyon ... Yes it is, so that means that we need at least 1.50 hours to get to Paris ... Wasn't it for the stop of 50 minutes because of electricity problems. 22.25 we entered this station and we left at 23.15. A tiring last sprint to Paris. 01.20 we arrived. Metro closed ... Let's take a cab, there were some more to think that and only 3 cabs to see. But there were free courtesy busses due to the late arrival. That's nice, I needed to go to Gare du Nord and that was not that far away I thought. Well think again Paul.

We left at 1.45 and I saw everything of Paris. Montmartre, Sacre Coeur, Montparnasse, La Tour Eiffel, The New Moulin Rouge, La Seine - cinq fois, je le veux tous! What means hotel, 03.10 and let's say it this way it has a bed and a shower but that's all there is to say about. I wanted to save some cost but not this much
. Good night for today hope it will be quicker tomorrow. to be continued ...

No comments:

Why can't I remember a day,
that I can't forget!
90210 - February 1999