Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Le Muscadet 2004 est arrive

AOC Muscadet sur Lie 2004 Chateau Sainte Radegonde Cuvee Van den Berg
Finallement le vin de 2004 est arrivé!

Muscadet is a region in France near the mouth of the Loire river. While in the 1600s this was known for its red wines, cold winters killed those vines in the early 1700s and it was replanted with Melon de Bourgogne, a hardy white variety. The best known region, producing 80% of the wine, is Muscadet de Sevre-et-Maine. This is named for two rivers in the area. Muscadet is unusual in that the grape is so flavorless that many producers let the wine sit on the lees all winter, hoping to absort some extra flavor. This also gives the wine a bit of carbonization and life. The wine is very light, a bit tangy, and a small bit sparkly. It goes well with seafood and often has a light, green apple flavor. If the words 'sur lie' are on the label it means that the wine has been allowed to rest on its lees (dead yeast cells) for some time after fermentation, imparting a touch of richness to the otherwise dry and steely wine. Very anxious to see how my wine tastes this year. The first bottle is already opened, not on tempreature yet but he ... sometimes I can't wait and who can blame me for trying. This weekend I really take some time to do a proper tasting, for now ... nothing wrong, absolutely good wine this year. For all my friends out there, yes it's time to have a drink.


You know where to reach me. A toast for the coming summer, to all of you from me ...

No comments:

Why can't I remember a day,
that I can't forget!
90210 - February 1999